top of page




Historians have no exact record on the date Bolinao was created.  It was presumed that the town was created by virtue of a Royal Decree of Spain.  Records show that it was the year 1575 when Spanish Captain Pedro Lombi founded the first settlement with more or less 100 settlers.  The Municipal Council of Bolinao, by virtue of its Resolution No. 104 dated September 19, 1988 adopted July 25, 1575 as the Foundation Day of Bolinao in honor of the Patron Saint of the town, St. James the Great.

Bolinao was made a part of the Province of Pangasinan upon the enactment of Public Act No. 1004 dated November 30, 1903 of the Philippine Commission.

There are three (3) versions where the name Bolinao came from.  The name of the town could have been derived from the “Pamulinawen” tree which grew in abundance along the beaches.  The second story claims that the name of the municipality came from the fish species “monamon” commonly called “Bolinao” by the Tagalogs, Bicolanos and Visayans.  The third one is associated with the couple Bolido and Anao.  The combination of their names created the name Bolinao, which is the name of the town.



LAND AREA                           :    23,320 hectares 
POPULATION                        :    69,568
NO. OF BARANGAYS          :    30
CLASSIFICATION                :    1st class
TOWN FIESTA                       :    Every 3rd week of April
PAROCHIAL FIESTA          :    July 25 (adopted as Bolinao Foundation Day)
FESTIVAL                               :    Mangunguna Festival (Aprl 24)

Farming, fishing as a major supplier of  bangus to Navotas and Malbon small-scale and cottage industries, salt making, 
rope making, shellcraft, bagoong making, buri mat  weaving,  
dried fish making, charcoal making, bamboo and woodcrafts
HISTORICAL SITES AND TOURIST ATTRACTIONS    :    Enchanted Cave, Bolinao Museum, Cape Bolinao Lighthouse,
UPMSI (Marine Laboratory) Pacific Farms, Inc., Bolinao Falls
Tara Falls, Balingasay River Patar Beach, St. Claire Monastery
St. James the Fortress Parish (1609)

bottom of page